Monday 5 September 2011

Joel Fenton and the Runaways debut EP

I must admit, I am a big sucker for looking at bands influences and letting that decide whether or not I will listen to them. This probably isn’t a very good habit, but it’s got me this far. New indie rock band, Joel Fenton and the Runaways are an interesting group, in this regard. They cite their influences as Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jamie T and Kanye West. Interested now?

Lead singer Joel Fenton and fellow band members Ash Woodward and Harley Pascoe have just finished their debut EP. They have four songs on offer from this EP at the moment, and they’re all pretty catchy songs. While I would say that they sound a lot more similar to rock legends Red Hot Chili Peppers then any of their other influences, they definitely do not mimic their idols. All of the songs have a funky edge to them, crafted around great guitar hooks, these guys don’t seem like strangers to the music scene at all.

My personal favourite from their debut EP is the acoustic track Home. I’m a big fan of the acoustic guitar, and I really think this song lets listeners hear the great talent on offer from this band. Misty is another great track that features loads of rockin’ guitar, its a nice combination to that solid drum beat, and it absolutely makes this song. You can check these guys out here, make sure you do, because I can see these guys going pretty far in a couple years!


No comments:

Post a Comment