Blog Archive

Thursday 18 August 2011

Boy & Bear - Moonfire track by track review


Although I had a full listen to Boy & Bear's debut album Moonfire a couple weeks ago when it was featured on Triple J, I thought I would wait until I could get my hands on a copy to review it. Finally my copy has arrived - late orders are one of the joys of internet shopping sometimes - and I'm going to review the album as I listen to it track by track and then give it an overall rating, so lets begin!

1. Lordy May: I just love the introduction to this song, it is the perfect introduction to any record, particularly a Boy & bear record. As you first hear Dave Hosking's perfect voice, you know that this is going to be a great album. The delicate finger picking and the drums all throughout the song are superb, with a nice little piano piece to finish this opening track off.

2. Feeding Line: Now we come to the first single off of Boy & Bear's debut and its an absolutely amazing song. I love the high notes played on the guitar throughout, especially when all the other music stops, if you've heard this song then you know exactly what i mean! The chorus is superb in this song, super catchy and quite perfect really, with a whistling 'solo' that just adds an extra something. I have a feeling this song will be in many top 10s when it comes to the end of the year.

3. Milk & Sticks: Here is the second single from this record, that is easily just as good as the first one, if not better. I love the introduction, how it slows down completely and then bam! Dave Hosking's voice with some sweet guitar work. I love this song so much, it is the perfect indie folk jam and I have a feeling I'll be playing it a lot over the next few weeks. The song changes a fair bit towards the end, which was quite interesting, adding to the complexity of the song.

4. Part Time Believer: The album slows down a little here, which is probably smart, following two hit songs. With more great whistling, and great harmonies, Boy & Bear's slow stuff is definitely just as good as their faster more catchy songs. I particularly like the guitar that comes in towards the end, just before a final whistling end to the song. *After listening to the album a few times, this song has really grown on me, the singing really flows and I am enjoying it a lot.

5. My Only One: Now I'm an absolute sucker for slow, meaningful songs, and so I think this is one of the best songs off of the record. I really like the drums in this song, and as always, Dave Hosking's voice is surreal, fitting in with the instruments perfectly. What a great song.

6. Percy Warner Park: I really struggle to see the value of this song. It showcases Dave's voice perfectly, but other then that, it doesn't do much for me. I wasn't really ready for an interlude, and I'm not 100% sure if this album needs interludes, but oh well.

7. Golden Jubilee: Almost to make up for the interlude, this song is quick and upbeat from the very beginning. With cool synths, this is a song that gets you tapping your feet and bouncing, wherever you are, and I look forward to hopefully seeing this one live. That guitar is killer just before the ending, and Dave's 'Oww' is hilarious. Love it!

8. House And Farm: I'd love to hear from somebody that doesn't love a mandolin in any song, I think the response would be pretty dismal. Because lets face it, that mandolin absolutely makes this song, it's something fresh and new and that's all I have to say about that. This song has a slightly foreign feel to it, reminding me a little of some of the work from Beirut (I'll be posting about Zach Condon soon so stay tuned for that). Just the pizazz this album needed!

9. The Village: I knew as soon as I started listening to this short song that I would be sad to hear it finish. This is one interlude that I approve of. I love the use of the percussion instruments and those vocals just blew me away. I would happily listen to this song for 3 minutes plus, but it is much better then track 6 which I still have doubts about, maybe it'll grow on me.

10. Beach: This song starts off slow and wonderful and very slowly builds up, changing pace just after some very beautiful singing from Dave Hosking. These guys do slow songs very well, and this is the perfect example of that. I've probably mentioned Dave's voice a few too many times already, but this song should prove to anybody that he has the goods! What a great song, with a jam at the end that will take you to a whole new world.. I'm beginning to wonder if this shouldn't be the final track of the album.

11. Big Man: After hearing what I thought could easily of been the final track for the album, I was very intrigued. But I think Boy & Bear showed me the reason that they were making the music and not the other way around. Somehow, this song feels like a complete wrap-up of the record, giving you the time to think about what you've heard and digest the great tunes. I love the chanting behind Dave in this song near the start, and then really love the choir-like end to the album Amazing!

I really enjoyed this album, showcasing the talent that fans around Australia have been waiting to hear in full glory since their debut EP was released very early last year. Wowing fans with a cover of Crowded House's Fall At Your Feet, which reached number 5 in the Triple J Hottest 100 of 2010, Boy & Bear have cemented their place very well in the growing reservoir of amazing artists coming out of Australia.

I give this album a 7.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment